February 22, 2009

Someone special.

The saying "out of sight, out of mind" is completely true with me. Years pass where I don't think about a certain event, or person, and one day they pop in my head like a little reminder from them, and I go through the memories. I wonder if they're ever thinking about me at the exact same time, me popping up in their head too.
In the middle of The Song of Roland, Ms. Jordan happened upon my thoughts. Now, I'm not quite sure if she's a Mrs., Ms., Miss, so I'll just keep it simple there. When I knew her, I'm pretty sure she was not a Mrs., because she lived with her sister and several dogs, but the picture was cute. It's been a year and a half, though, so things could have changed. She was a creative writer teacher at my first high school and was the administrator for the poetry club. My junior year, I started going to the poetry club meetings and absolutely loved her. She was funny and beautiful, smart and friendly and encouraging. She liked my work, though I've written substantially better things since then. I once wrote this poem about a vampire, but I never used that word, just the description gave way to some sort of vampire-like creature, a beautiful one that roamed the night. It was elegant, flowed great, and had a very good use of vocabulary. However, I doubt I will ever find that poem, the one I miss so much. When I read it to the others in the club, she told me I spoke very fast but articulated well. If I would have stayed, I would have taken her class, but I think she might have left anyway--I'm not sure.
And thinking about that club, I'm just remembering the other people that went there. Victoria stands out in my mind. She was a gothic girl, a few years younger than me, and she actually wrote novels. Not very literary-like novels, but at least she could write a lot. She'd read chapters to us, and the current one was a vampire novel. Seems to be a reoccurring subject here. Um, Edward Cullen?! Lestat?? Opinions below. Anyway, it was a cool thing, I miss going, I miss Ms. Jordan, she was super cool. I tried going to a poetry/writing club at my second high school and it just didn't work out, it was too different and formed in a way I didn't like. I was new, a senior, things were supposed to be so much different.

Opinion time.
I guess I'll start with Twilight. I'm in the middle on these books. I love them, really, the plot is great and I like romance novels (as long as they're not cheesy), especially teen ones, and I've liked vampires for years. I'm definitely not one of those "gothic" people, though. Not in mindset, or fashion sense, not that there's anything wrong with it, just getting that out there. So, what's not to like about this page-turning book and all of its sequels? Well for me, nothing. Except for disappointments within the plot, of course. I mean, I know it's not the best thing ever written or even close, but it is one of my favorite series. Stephenie Meyer is no literary writer either. It bothers me when people rag on her, saying she can't write, and that she shouldn't have tried, or whatever. First of all, it was based on a dream she had, that she didn't want to lose. It's not like she wanted to write a simple novel that would ring in huge amounts of fans. She didn't even want to publish it for awhile, and I think it's great that she actually finished one novel that was so long, and good, and then wrote four more and is still going. I mean, I can only dream of getting that done, and actually want to write. I'm glad she did so well and really hope I can go so far. So yes, while I know this book is not even close to a classic or one of the greats, I love it just the same, because it's a perfect book for me, just like I knew it was that day in Barnes and Noble, when I read the summary just when it had come out.

Actually, I don't feel like going into Lestat and Interview with a Vampire and Anne Rice. In a way, they're better written, not as fast paced, but still good enough. That's all I feel right now.

P.S. I love yoga people. I talk about yoga and pilates too much, but it's so graceful and the poses are so beautiful. I mean, not when I'm doing them, not yet at least, but eventually. If anyone ever reads this and wants to talk, I would love that. I can talk about anything, really.

P.P.S. Some good music! You and I by Ingrid Michaelson (has Jason Mraz, too), and several songs by Animal Collective, such as Did You See the Words, Summertime Clothes, and My Girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment